Thursday, October 15, 2009

O, The Things I Miss

It twas a gray October morn when I awoke to the sound of garbage trucks compacting trash. It was a Thursday, which meant I had a day off from school, I started the day off by watching reruns of magnum P.I. on television. Halfway through an action scene where Magnum was jumping off a gorillas back onto a helicopter with a knife in his mouth to stop the Columbian drug cartel, I said to myself this show is awesome! Something about the show had me in a zen like trance that I could not put my finger around. Movies more than ever have crazy big budget scenes ,but what was it about Magnum that was so amazing. THE MUSTACHE. Looking back now at other things that I loved because they were cool, or just made life better I also realized how many of hem were gone.

Here now read the first installment of the reoccurring blog article O, The Things I miss!

Manly Mustaches

One thing that can be said for big mustaches is they make everything better (Baseball, Smoking cigarettes ETC). Another thing that can be said is if you see someone wearing one of these big lip rugs your about to get your ass kicked. In a time where skinny jeans, hair gel, and pink shirts are acceptable for men to wear I think now more than ever we need mustaches like the "Bandolero" "Big Tex" and " Nebraska Sunset" back in style.

Donkey Kong

Video games today are so sick and are now being played by more people than ever, but I have been playing games before they were 3D and dammit i wanna know why they left behind Donkey Kong. Playing video games in the 90s is nothing like today ,playing by candle light was difficult, but it was all worth it to see a big ape get pissed off and throw barrels at a lizard. How did game developers ever think an ape named after another animal who eats bananas and flies planes would ever get old. For anyone whos curious, the last cooltronic game made under the DK name was "Dixie Kongs Double Trouble".

Floral Pattern Furniture

These couches today are considered ugly and tacky. However growing up as a young lad these couches were the only things getting me through the day knowing I could come home and just relax on a simulated bed of roses. This was also the way I learned about flowers. If I had my own place today I would welcome back this semi psychedelic grandma style as part of my decor. Also I feel this was a bold statement made by my parents identifying them as immigrants in the 80s reflecting that they had no sense of North American style.

  1. Bi-Way

Bi Way is one place that only few people will remember and even few will remember fondly. For many of you who dont know in the 90s Bi way was a discount clothing and convenience store kind of place where everything was very cheap and you would only really go in their to grab a tasty beverage. I remember going their with my mom as a kid and when she got me clothes for the school year I just knew that I could look forward to not looking cool. However the one thing for some reason that place did better than anyone one was sell jogging pants. If you didnt really care about how you looked and liked being comfortable at an almost hedonistic level this was the place to shop, for pants at least.

I hope you enjoyed strolling down memory lane with me and I look forward to adding to this Turbo Talk exclusive article.

1 comment:

  1. i TOTALLY remeber that place! i loved their tear-aways.

    ReplyDelete